Saturday, August 7, 2010

Requiem for an Apple Tree


Waite Phillips had a large apple orchard, and it is said that some of the trees date back to the 1920's and 1930's - very old for most fruit trees. This one is near Philmont Traders. Once a double tree, the stump, over two feet across, is so rotted that you can see daylight through the base. The "shoot" is about 4 inches in diameter, and holds up a treeful of about 50 apples. What an image - very Isaiah 11 !
I then led the Protestant service, a most animated group, which happens when they want to be there! It was notable for me that our director of program for the whole shebang was present for worship ... it's kind of like having the district superintendent show up unannounced! Mark is an amazing leader, guiding all three of the above mentioned Philmont operations with vision and grace. Of course, I haven't seen my, er, performance review... not saying I'd change my opinion. Not out loud, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment