Friday, August 13, 2010

BSA is 100


When I began in scouting, it was 48 years old, and now it's 100. A sobering thought!
At the end of myPhilmont Training Center week (as chaplain), I participated in a 100th-fest, which has been going on week by week all summer. Pictured is Mark Anderson, director of programming at Philmont - a more energetic sort I knoweth not. The man in the black cowboy hat is Dave Richardson, who visited us at Philmont on behalf of the whole BSA, and gave us chaplains a Scout watch - which I am wearing as I write (illumintated! nifty compass!). (Scouting, as other outdoor pursuits, is in part about the gear, okay?)
It is my continuing privilege to lead base camp services, as I will tonight. As the season shortens, the chaplains themselves seem to have a growing bond, spending precious time together when possible. That's what happens when it's a good thing!
Tomorrow, the "gather" begins, where the most distant camps will begin to transport gear and personnel to camping headquarters. That should get us chaplains to the far reaches of the ranch, as everything that rolls will be in service. Yes, I roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment