Thursday, August 12, 2010

At a mining camp called French Henry, the Scouts are eager to try their luck panning for gold. There were over a dozen active mines on what is now Philmont's property, gold was predominate, but also copper. They occasionally find a fleck of gold - the mountain is slowly washing it downhill.
We were also at Baldy Town, a former mining village hugging the side of the mountain. Relics remain, but miners were not particularly good stewards of the land. The photos from that era are surprising - and that they dragged every bit of equipment and building material to the 10,000 ft elevation. I've seen the numbers on the total value of gold mined here - it was a limited success, at best.
I talked with a group of Scouters today about "religious emblems," and the over 70 faith grourps and denominations that cooperate in such a venture. In my short time here, I feel like I've worn an unexpected number of hats!

1 comment:

  1. Am following along even if I don't post every day...kudos on the flower pics especially!

    ReplyDelete