Saturday, August 21, 2010

And so it ends!


I'm not really as happy as I look! The closing campfire is a daily occurrence from mid-June until August 20. Lots of staff turned out to join the 450 campers who came down the mountain the last day. As film of early crews (1941) played, I gave thanks for my Dad, for Jesse, for Peggy, all of whom have shared this Philmont experience. Dad came out for Woodbadge in 1953 (I'm sure I've said that), and so I have lived on his stories, mine, and ours for lo, these 57 years.
I will host one more service tonight, as some staff remain here at base. I expect it to be the classic "where two or three are gathered," but what a privilege. At last night's service, four deer came running almost into the chapel, looking intently at everyone, then proceeded to nonchalantly graze their way around the perimeter. Added to the approximately 40 horses just over the fence - it was altogether fitting. Here are the words of the Philmont Hymn, written in 1946 Philmont legend, John Westfall:
Silver on the sage, starlit skies above, aspen covered hills, country that I love.
Philmont, here's to thee, Scouting paradise, out in God's country tonight.
Wind in whispering pines, eagles soaring high, purple mountains rise against an azure sky.
Philmont, here's to thee, Scouting paradise, out in God's country tonight.
I am almost 10-8, base to Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment